As I have been focusing on my last 10 pounds of weight loss, I noticed I was actually starting to gain weight – – how could that be? I was eating great, exercising 5-6 days week . . . doing all of the basics . . how could this be?
As I began to do my research to work on me, I discovered some keys that could help you with your weight loss.
What Is Cortisol?
Cortisol is a hormone produced by the adrenals to help us recover from stress (Adrenaline helps us react/ respond to stress) – – – both can become imbalanced. Cortisol not only provides energy for recovery, it can impact blood sugar and fat storage (especially in the belly and hip areas).
Since blood type As often internalize stress, they are more likely than any of the other blood types to have cortisol and adrenaline out of balance (guess what this woman is?).
What are the symptoms of Cortisol being out of balance:
- flabby skin
- increased thirst and urination
- imbalanced blood sugar
- muscle weakness
- water retention
- difficulty making decisions
- trouble sleeping
- bursts of anger
- inability to lose belly/hip fat
Some of our most common lifestyle habits contribute to Cortisol being out of balance. Check out this list and see how many reflect you.
- skipping breakfast
- skipping meals
- more carbs than protein in first 3-5 hour of the day
- slouching (poor posture, especially if sitting at computer all day)
- staying up past 10:00 p.m.
- emotional stress
- chronic pain
If those are the contributors, what can you do to balance out the scales?
- EAT BREAKFAST . . . every single day! (protein base not carb)
- Eat every 3-5 hours
- Eat low glycemic (cut out sugar and wheat!)
- Posture (yoga, Pilates) . . reduce cardio workouts (total workout less than 1 hour)
- Get to bed before 10:00 p.m. and get 8 hours of sleep (50% higher levels of cortisol if sleep 6 hours vs. 8)
- Rhodiola is a great herb to help balance Cortisol levels
- Self care – – set boundaries, laugh, massage, soothing music
One of the best supports for counteracting cortisol is keeping your glutathione levels high. Our favorite product for this is Dr. Keller’s OGF (Original Glutathione Formula). You can order a bottle for half price and try it risk free for 30 days with their empty bottle guarantee. Go to RobKellerMD.com and at checkout use coupon code: RKMD-77566