Recently I was speaking to a woman’s group. One of the women had approached me the previous week at church about helping her kids. As she listened to my story, she began to tear up. After the main discussion, she came up to me and said the words I longed to hear from each woman,
“I thought I needed to start with the kids, but I realize that if I don’t
take care of me first, there won’t be anything left of me to take care of them!”
Truer words were never spoken! So many women put everyone ahead of themselves. They are running on ‘credit card’ energy and facing bankruptcy!
It is not selfish to take care of you! In fact it is just the opposite! When you are running ‘low’ you are more impatient irritable, and you make poor decision (or just procrastinate and make no decisions!).
Look in the mirror – YOU MATTER!
Even Jesus said that the second greatest commandment is to “love your neighbor AS yourself.” You can’t love others more than you first love yourself.
Take some baby steps in self care and overcome any guilt that says you are being selfish!
Here’s a few ideas in case this is too foreign of an idea:
– Take an Epson salt bath at night instead of watching television
– Replace your sodas with delicious tea, water with lemon/lime
– Light a candle and read for 15 minutes before you fall asleep – – better yet, head to bed a bit early so that you can stay awake!
– Find someone to give you a customized health plan
– Write yourself an encouraging note – acknowledge your progress
– Smile at yourself in the mirror
– Feed yourself the way your body wants to be fed instead of based on convenience